Undergraduate Minor in French

The minor consists of 12 credit hours. No more than 6 hours of credit by examination (EM) and/or transfer credit can be applied to the minor. 

Students interested in a minor in French are asked to contact the Department’s minor advisor (Dr. Gloria Torrini-Roblin at torrini-roblin.1) to discuss their career or personal goals and to select the courses that best suit these goals. Students should then file the Minor form with the Arts and Sciences Academic Advisor for French (Dr. Andy Spencer at spencer.4).  Any variation from the programs requires the approval of the minor advisor in the Department of French and Italian.

Prerequisite courses: French 1101, 1102, 1103, and 2101.01.

Required Courses: French 3101 and three additional courses taught in French at the 3000 level or above, at least one of which must be at the 4000 level or above.

Arts and Sciences Minor Program Guidelines

The following guidelines govern minors.

Required for graduation   No

Credit hours required  A minimum of 12 (some minors require more)

Transfer credit hours allowed: No more than one half of the credit hours required for the Minor.

Overlap with the GEC  Permitted

Overlap with the major  Not allowed and

  • The minor must be in a different subject than the major.
  • The same courses cannot count on the minor and on the major.

Overlap between minors  Each minor completed must contain 12 unique hours.

Grades required

  • Minimum C- for a course to be listed on the minor.
  • Minimum 2.00 cumulative point-hour ratio required for the minor.
  • Course work graded Pass/Non-Pass cannot count on the minor.

Approval required  The minor program description sheet indicates if the minor course work must be approved by:

  • The academic unit offering the minor, or
  • A college/school counselor.

Filing the minor program form:  The minor program form must be filed at least by the time the graduation application is submitted to a college/school counselor, but preferably much earlier.

Changing the minor  Once the minor program is filed in the college office, any changes must be approved by:

  • The academic unit offering the minor, or
  • A college/school counselor (depending on the minor).