Prerequisites for the Italian Studies Major
- Italian 1103.01, 1103.02 or 5051
Requirements for the Italian Studies Major with a History of Art concentration (33 credits)
- (3 credits) Italian 2102
- (6 credits) two 3000-level courses taught in Italian
- (3 credits) one 4000-level or above course taught in Italian
Credits for content courses (not language courses) taught in Italy that have been pre-approved by an OSU advisor may replace these content courses in Italian from the French and Italian Department.
- (9 credits) 3 courses taught in English in the Department of French and Italian of which only one course can be at the 2000-level, one at the 3000-level or above and one at the 4000-level or above.
Credits for content courses (not language courses) from any OSU approved study abroad program in Italy that have been pre-approved by the advisor may replace content courses from the French and Italian Department. (See table A below).
Requirements for the History of Art major
- (12 credits) 4 courses from the Department of History of Art selected from Table B or students may petition for a course that is not on this list.
- (12 credits) 4 Core courses:
HA4001: Writing in History of Art 2
HA4005: An Introduction to Artistic Media and Techniques (or a 2000-level foundational studio course in the Art Department) 3
HA4010: An Introduction to the Methods and Theories of Art 4
HA4016: Senior Seminar in History of Art (prereq: senior standing or permission of the instructor)
- (12 credits) 4 History of Art courses: Two courses from Area II: Modern Art of Europe and the United States (after 1700) and two courses from Area III: Global Art (Arts of Asia, Africa, and Central & South America). At least two courses must be from the 4000-level or above.
- Elective: (3 credits) One additional History of Art course at the 5000-level or above
Students wishing to graduate with research distinction may substitute 3 credits of 4999 or 4999H: Undergraduate thesis for one course offered in English from the Department of French and Italian or one from the History of Art Department.
Table A. Courses taught in English in the Department of French and Italian
Prerequisites and Limitations
2051 - Fictions of Italy: Medieval and Renaissance Literature and Society
2052 - Fictions of Italy: Modern and Contemporary Literature and Society
2053 - Introduction to Italian Cinema
2054 - Dante in Translation
2055 - Mafia Movies
ITALIAN 3XXX – All roads lead to Rome? Topics in Italian Studies (in progress)
ITALIAN 4XXX (Topics in French and Italian to be proposed)
5051 - Latin and the Romance Languages
Equivalent of 1103 in Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, or Latin, or permission of instructor. Not open to students with credit for RomLing 5051 or Clas 5051.
5890 - Italian Seminar
qualified undergraduates with permission of instructor
5194 – Group Studies
3797 - Italy Abroad
No background in Italian required
3798.01 - The Italian City
One 3000-level course or permission of instructor
5797 – Study at a Foreign Institution
Depends on the program
Table B. Courses offered in History of Art
Prerequisites and Limitations
3521 Renaissance art in Italy
4301 Ancient Greece and Rome
Not open to students with credit for Clas 4301
4521 - Early Renaissance Art in Italy
2002 - Western Art II: The Renaissance to the Present or equiv with permission of instructor.
4522 - High Renaissance and Mannerist Art in Italy
2002 - Western Art II: The Renaissance to the Present or permission of instructor.