M.A. Program in French and Francophone Studies or Italian Studies

The Master of Arts in French and Francophone Studies or Italian gives students who are looking to complete an M.A. degree advanced skills in research, critical thinking, and pedagogy, and a specialization in either French and Francophone Studies or Italian Studies. In conjunction with the graduate adviser, students plan a program of study that builds upon their undergraduate education and allows them to develop a comprehensive understanding of important developments in French and Francophone or Italian studies. Department faculty are committed to interdisciplinary research and teaching, and in conjunction with the advisor, students take two courses outside of their specialization during the course of the M.A.

Beyond our core faculty, students also have access to affiliated faculty across the campus with expertise in several exciting fields in French, Francophone, and Italian Studies.

Graduate students are part of a collegial department that offers a variety of courses in literature, culture, film, critical theory, and language pedagogy. Students are also provided instruction in the technical and interpretive skills necessary for graduate-level research and teaching.

In Spring of their second year, students who are on track to complete the M.A. may apply to continue on to the Ph.D. program the following year. Students who receive funding via a Graduate Teaching Associateship will be are offered full tuition, fee waiver, and a teaching stipend for the duration of the M.A. program (four consecutive semesters). GTAs teach one introductory-level language course per semester and benefit from an extensive training and mentoring system.

Admissions Requirements for M.A. in French and Italian

Program Requirements for M.A. with French Specialization

Qualifying Paper (Masters Examination) for M.A. with French Specialization

Program Requirements for M.A. with Italian Specialization

Masters Examination for M.A. with Italian Specialization

Graduate Student Grievances

When concerns arise or persist, the graduate student ombudsperson is an impartial resource that can help graduate students explore options in resolving their concerns. Generally, graduate students should aim to address and resolve concerns within their department. Graduate students are encouraged to discuss concerns with their advisor first. If concerns remain, graduate students should then reach out to the program graduate studies chair. Further unresolved concerns should be communicated to the department chair. If the concerns cannot be resolved internally within the department, the graduate student is encouraged to contact the assistant dean for graduate studies within the College of Arts and Sciences. In situations where the student believes the issue has not been resolved within the College, they can request further review from the Graduate School.