- The application deadline for students who wish to be considered for funding is November 30
- Applications for graduate programs at Ohio State must be submitted online through the Graduate & Professional Admissions website.
The Department of French and Italian offers direct-admit PhD programs in French and Francophone Studies and Italian Studies.
We seek intellectually curious students
- with advanced proficiency in French or Italian
- who are driven to investigate their own answers to critical questions
- who aspire to share the knowledge they accrue with others
- who want to work in a cooperative and inclusive environment with collegial faculty and peers
- who are excited by the prospect of living in a fast-growing, multicultural city at once vast in scope and small-town in feel
- who are attracted to a fantastic library system and a wide range of interdisciplinary programs and centers at one of North America’s top research universities
- whose interests link up with one or more of the unique clusters of research topics and directions to which we can provide the strongest support with our exciting departmental and university-wide resources, and an extensive web of affiliated faculty
We provide Exceptional Teaching Training and Job Experience in foreign language education, with exciting opportunities to teach language and culture throughout the curriculum
- Intensive orientation that prepares you to teach and connects you with other new student-teachers
- Training in encouraging intercultural competency and global citizenship
- Seminar on the best second-language teaching practices and theories
- The opportunity to teach throughout the language curriculum
- Ongoing support from advanced peers and faculty (you won’t be on your own!)
- Teaching Apprenticeships in your subject specialty under a faculty mentor in whose course you will observe, give guest lectures, and then develop syllabi for your own future courses
- Advanced opportunities to teach in OSU’s Individual Instruction Center and in more advanced courses as you gain experience
- Opportunities to participate in exchange programs in Rennes, France, or teach in Bologna, Italy and Dakar, Senega
- All admitted students will be offered teaching contracts for 4-5 years of funding, and an additional year of funding is awarded on a competitive basis
- The department frequently nominates prospective students for fellowships for a first or dissertation year, which though competitive have regularly been received
- Ohio State offers competitive stipends and excellent benefits
- The Department and the College offer Support for graduate student research and conference travel
- Columbus is a far more affordable city than many
Learn More: Financial Support for Graduate Students
- Many successful PhD students have graduated from Ohio State’s Department of French and Italian and moved on to teaching, business, consulting and other positions around the country.
Learn More: Recent dissertations and placements
- Ohio State has a worldwide reputation and reach, and the nation's most comprehensive research university.
- As an Ohio State student you will benefit from expert faculty, cutting-edge facilities, a diverse community, and a worldwide network of alumni.
- Columbus is a city of innovation, community, and opportunity. It is also a Midwest hub for arts and culture.
Learn More: Discover Ohio State and Columbus