Students are normally admitted to our Ph.D. programs beginning Autumn semester. The deadlines for application are as follows:
For students who wish to be considered for a Fellowship or Graduate Teaching Associateship:
Applications received after this date may still be considered for Graduate Teaching Associateships if funding remains, but students are advised to submit their application as early as possible after this deadline if it cannot be met.
Students not requesting funding:
June 1 for international students
August 1 for U.S. students
Applications are evaluated as soon as all required components are received and the file is complete. Since some components, such as transcripts and letters of recommendation, may take time to be sent out after requested, students should plan well ahead of deadlines.
Applications for graduate programs at Ohio State must be submited online.
Masters in French and Italian (with specialization in French or Italian)
For questions regarding completing your application, please visit Graduate and Professional Admissions FAQ.
- Official transcripts for each college or university attended. Guidelines for submitting transcripts.
- Statement of intent (1 to 2 pages)
- Three letters of recommendation. Recommenders will be automatically contacted with a link to submit their letters when you submit your application. If you email or mail the letters, they must be accompanied by the Graduate School Reference Form.
- Curriculum vitae or resume (1 to 2 pages)
- Brief academic writing sample in English and another in French (for the French and Francophone program) or Italian (for the Italian program). These documents should be combined and uploaded as a single file.
- Students who wish to be considered for a Graduate Teaching Associateship should complete the GTA Application Form and upload it via the Document Uploader. The department’s Graduate Studies Committee will nominate top applicants for a University Fellowship (there is no separate application).
You may check here for your application status.
[pdf] - Some links on this page are to .pdf files. If you need these files in a more accessible format, please contact The Department of French and Italian. PDF files require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader software to open them. If you do not have Reader, you may use the following link to Adobe to download it for free at: Adobe Acrobat Reader.