EM/Transfer Credit



French - Julie Parson

Italian - April Weintritt

Guidelines for Awarding EM Credit in the Foreign Languages in the Colleges of the Arts and Sciences

Examination credit (EM) for proficiency in a foreign language must be given in accordance with Faculty Rule 3335-7-21 and subject to the following specific provisions:

1.      that EM credit be given for specific courses (not -94) and the students be tested on specific material;

2.      that EM credit be given to a student for courses in which he or she demonstrates a level of satisfactory proficiency, as specified by the department, on a placement or proficiency test;

3.      that no student be given foreign language EM credit for 1101, 1102, or 1103 for language courses at any level for the primary language if he or she attended high school or its equivalent in his or her native country;

4.      that EM credit be given to an American student who has attended a foreign university if such credit does not duplicate transfer credit from that university.

5.      that EM credit in French or Italian shall not be awarded for 1102, 1103 or French 2101/Italian 2102 once a student has enrolled in any Italian course at a lower level (excepting those taught in English)

In order to advance into a higher-level course (French or Italian 1102-1103), students must take the EM Credit Exam(s) for the course(s) they want to test out of. This option is only available to students who have never taken a French/Italian course at OSU, whether in the classroom, in Individualized Instruction, or online.

Careful attention should be given to the published policy that "a student may not obtain EM credit for a course which is prerequisite to one in which the student has earned college credit."   This means that, as in other disciplines, a student who transfers from another university with K (transfer) credit in French 1103 cannot receive EM credit in French 1101 or 1102.

Validating Minimum Proficiency in a Foreign Language

Minimum proficiency in a foreign language must be validated in the following ways:

1.      Successful completion of the third semester course in the language at this University (see Colleges of the Arts and Sciences Bulletin statement).

2.      Examination and certification by the appropriate foreign language department in the college of students whose level of proficiency, however gained, is equivalent to that of a student who has passed the third semester course with a grade of "B-" (80%) or better.

3.      Transfer credit from another accredited institution and certification by the appropriate language department in the college that such credit is the equivalent of the third and fourth regular university courses in that particular foreign language.

Questions about French EM Credit should be addressed to Julie Parson. Questions about Italian EM credit should be directed to April Weintritt.

Advanced Proficiency Tests

1.      The following steps should be followed to obtain EM credit courses above 1103.

2.      According to University policies, EM credit can be given for any course above 1103 with this limitation:

  • "In the Arts and Sciences a student may not obtain EM credit for a course which is a prerequisite to one in which he or she has earned college credit."
  • In addition, native speakers have restrictions on courses for which they can earn EM credit.  Please check with the course bulletin for these restrictions.

3.      The advanced proficiency test administrator should determine the student's eligibility before authorizing an examination.  This person should see the student's record and verify that the rule about prerequisites is observed. 

4.            Students need to receive a B- (80) or above to receive EM credit. 

Transfer/Deferred Credit Procedures

A transfer student is one who has completed undergraduate studies at a university or college other than OSU, and transferred to a degree program at our institution.

Transfer credit is course credit granted by coordinators in the transfer credit center, Office of the University Registrar.

Most transfer credit is assigned automatically by credit coordinators upon admission where equivalent courses have been specified. In many cases, students receive general/unspecified transfer credit for courses taken in French or Italian at another accredited university or college. The general credit must be specified as French or Italian according to established equivalents. In these cases, students must contact the Department for the appropriate transfer credit advisor.

The following documents or information must be provided for proper specification of transfer credit:

General credit evaluation form prepared by a transfer credit coordinator in the transfer credit center, university registrar or downloaded from the student’s DARS report.

Transcript from previous university or college which includes course work taken and credit earned in French or Italian there.

Syllabus for each French or Italian course for which general or specific transfer credit has been granted. Course descriptions from course offerings catalogues are usually not sufficient. Where syllabi are not available, textbooks, notes and papers from relevant courses may be used in the evaluation at the discretion of the credit coordinator.

Sequences of courses in the French or Italian program from the catalogue of previous college or university to show where the courses fall in the French or Italian program there.

NOTE: It is the student’s responsibility to provide all required and requested information to facilitate the credit evaluation process. Transfer credit requests will remain pending until all required or requested information and documentation has been provided.